Tandem Chillers Inc. manufactures ice making chillers for thermal energy storage systems. Thermal energy storage is quickly becoming a major player in energy conservation initatives. Off Peak Cooling (OPC) is the process of making and storing ice at night (using Thermal Energy Storage), when demand for cooling and electricity prices are at their lowest, and using the ice to provide cooling for air conditioning during the day. This simple concept of electrical peak load shifting can lower your monthly hydro costs by thousands of dollars.
Why Choose Tandem Chilllers?
Tandem Chillers designed its first modular chiller in 2003 with a limited number of scroll compressor chillers and screw compressor chillers. With the vast knowledge we gained over 40 years of process chiller design to the design of our modular chillers, you can be assured that our chillers are 1) of a sound refrigeration design, 2) serviceable, and (since modular chillers by their very design cannot be serviced easily (small, compact and no space on either side or front and back for servicing the chiller) we made our design so that 3) the chillers could be service in place without shutting down the rest of the chilling system. Our design makes so much sense that it is hard to see why our competition doesn’t do it. If we told any of our process customers that we have to shut the whole cooling system for service and that they would have to shut down their production machines they’d have thrown us out of their plant. Why should a thermal energy storage system expect anything different from its ice making chillers?
Ice Making Chillers and Thermal Energy Storage
Our chillers are modular in ASSEMBLY and modular in DISASSEMBLY. This means that each of our chillers operates as a stand alone chiller in a group up to 12 chillers. We compare our competitors chillers to driving three cars with a long pole through the side windows connecting all the cars together – as long as all the cars are mobile you can move or travel, but you’re going no where if one fails. Our approach would be to take the time and strap the pole to the bumper of the three cars, if one fails you disconnect and the other two can go on their way. It is a major design decision to put the headers on front and back. It might be easier and less expensive to place the headers front and back, but then you are blocked in and cannot move. This is further compounded if you add an electrical buss bar system. Our competitors may be modular in assembly but when assembled they treat the group of chillers as one large chiller with multiple compressors.
What Makes Our Chillers More Energy Efficient?
Advancements in chiller technology have provided a number of chiller related components that can help them to achieve higher operating efficiencies. There are seven main reasons that our ice making chillers are more energy efficient and environmentally friendly than our competitors.
1. Oversized Condensers and Evaporators: make for a much longer lasting and more efficient compressor. With a hot gas by-pass, a water flow switch, a freeze thermostat, non-rusting water piping, you have the perfect cooling solution for anyone who has to worry about cooling reliability and cost effectiveness.
2. Highest EER Ratings Available: For (IPLV) Chillers are rated at full load efficiency, and integrated part load value (IPLV). 3. Scroll Compressors: we make sure that the compressor matches the condenser/evaporator for the highest efficiency and lowest consumption of energy.
4. Reliability: can last years without any interruption to the process
5. Low operation and Maintenance Costs: low energy consumption.
6. Software: for chillers to operate at peak efficiency, they need to be monitored constantly. This is now possible with programmable controls we use in our modular chillers.
7. Refrigerants: The phase-out of CFCs and R-22 refrigerants at the end of 1995 has forced growing numbers of building owners to convert or replace their chillers with equipment that uses non-CFC refrigerants, i.e., 410A and 134a. Because chillers last for decades, the efficiency of the replacement equipment will have a lasting effect on the energy use, operating cost, and environmental impact of the over 25 percent of commercial floorspace that is cooled by chillers, as well as the need for utility capacity. While 410A is probably the most popular refrigerant, 134a is well known for its zero effect on the ozone layer and lower global warming potential.
- Models available: FC020.
- For use with water, Ethylene and Propylene Glycol solutions.
- Compact Size.
- Easily Serviced In Place.
- Outstanding Reliability.
- Ease Of Operation – they connect to the chiller System Remote Master that can communicate operating and fault conditions to the BMS.
- For constant leaving water/glycol we use both fan cycling and speed control of the two fans.
- Stainless steel bolted frame and panels.
- High Efficiency Copper Tube Aluminum Fin Air Cooled Dry Coolers – Air Cooled Cooling Coils.
- NEMA / EEMAC Type 4/12 Control Panel.
If you have one of our outdoor air cooled chillers you can easily install one of our free cooling chillers since its the same size, shape and has the same pipe connections as the chiller. It can also be connected to your existing chilling equipment. It is an easy solution for free cooling during the winter whenever the outdoor temperature is at 32 F or below. We can cool your water glycol/solution from 54° F entering fluid temperature to 44° F leaving temperature for your building cooling or data center equipment cooling.
With our Free Cooling modules, Outdoor air cooled chillers coupled together with our Duplex Pump package, we can design a cooling system that will meet and even exceed your cooling needs.